Saturday, May 24, 2008

Oily War

Everybody's talkin about oil these days... touching almost $140 with analysts turning ever bullish. Excerpts of a conversation that I had:

Rups: Wow did ya see the oil prices?

Mr Ian R: Yeah! It doesnt make sense to me. Actually I'm quite worried about the stability in the Middle East, esp if oil keeps goin up like this...

Rups: ...I thought the high oil prices wld bring more stability to the region instead of instability...

Mr Ian R: ...when prices are high enough, US or China's gonna say... hang on... why do they, the Arabs, only get to benefit from this... and they'll go in... u just see... I aint sayin it's happenin soon... maybe 10, 15 yrs... it's far-fetched... but u just see...

Rups: I was thinkin... after the property boom... the Arabs wld start building Military Power... US has got it... China's got it... Russia too... so bein so cash rich it'll be them!! I dont see them pumpin more oil... they are comin up with one excuse after another... oh it's speculation blah blah blah... so if the prices aint comin down and them bein aggressive by nature... military buildup makes sense...

Mr Ian R: ...but who's gonna fight? They dont have enough population...

Rups: They'll bring in the Africans

Mr Ian R: ...Maybe...

Rups: ... everybody's power hungry these days... nobody wants to backoff... everybody wants to be a superpower... and they wont be pushed around...

Mr Ian R: ...there'll be another Cold War...

Rups: ...ultimately... it'll still be the Americans benefiting... I shld be working for a Weapons Co...