Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Quidam - remains a mystery

Quidam: a nameless passer-by, a solitary figure lingering on a street corner, a person rushing past. It could be anyone, anybody. Someone coming, going, living in our anonymous society. A member of the crowd, one of the silent majority. The one who cries out, sings and dreams within us all...

I was hoping to write a rave review on Cirque du Soleil - Quidam but unfortunately I am disappointed to say that the circus did not quite meet my expectations! Not that it was not entertaining and at times breathtaking, just that the acts were few and far between.


Having burnt a hole in my pocket on tickets for half my family, I was expecting to be blown away, however, I just found myself laughing on cheap but highly efficient "impromptu" onstage audience-involvement comedic routines.

Gimmicks! That's what I kept thinking to myself throughout the evening. The circus cost me an arm and a leg and it was nothin more than watchin opera with performers ballet dancing around and swinging on ropes.

BUT wait a minute... At the end of the day it was French. Sophistication is what I paid for... I totally missed the point! I have a free ticket (courtesy of my boss), anyone interested? (coz I'm not)